DVD recovery help

Have a problem? The TD0101 community might help you solve it... might...

Moderator: tor528

DVD recovery help

Postby legoracer18 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:01 pm

Over thanksgiving break my hard drive crashed and would not start up even in safe mode. After talking with the IT guy from my moms work he told me that i should get a new hard drive and an enclosure for my old one. I've done that and gotten an operating system on the new hard drive so my laptop will now work on that one. I have a problem though getting my files off the old hard drive. is there any suggestions or steps i should do so i can get all of my stuff on my new hard drive so i dont loose stuff?
He-Man Women-Haters Club Member.

My Website.
legoracer18
Just Your Average Mormon

Postby netizen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 am

Unless there is extensive real physical damage(which is unlikely) you should be able to get everything off of the hard drive. If it is just the operating system that is broken you should be able to get to the files. I would suggest you look into using a program called testdisk. website here

I'm not going to go into specific detail on how to use it just yet. Read the documentation on the website and try to use it by yourself first, but be warned, this will require lots of patience, reading, and learning.

They have a section on recovering damaged hard disks below.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
A company cannot compete against the first who has achieved perfection.
netizen
Your Fearless Leader Since 1986!

Postby legoracer18 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:38 am

Thanks Ryan. I actually was able to get my files off the hard drive and just got on to tell how i did it. Using a live cd of linux (the one that you can boot linux without it actually being on your hard drive) i was able to get into the hard drive file system and able to get into where all my personal files were and copy them onto my new hard drive that is now currently in my laptop. I had to do it this way because when i tried to get to my files in windows, it said that i did not have access to those files. Thats it in a nutshell.
He-Man Women-Haters Club Member.

My Website.
legoracer18
Just Your Average Mormon

Postby netizen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:51 am

cool beans. In other news this article just appeared on digg.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 94038.html
A company cannot compete against the first who has achieved perfection.
netizen
Your Fearless Leader Since 1986!

Return to Tech Support